On March 10, several NEOCHMM members attended a tour of the Akron Sewer Enhancement project. Similar to the Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District (NEORSD) program, the Akron program is designed to control sewer overflows in high flow periods. Akron has designed a tunnel that will be placed under downtown Akron and will hold the overflow until it can be processed at the Akron sewage plant.
The tour took us to the three locations that are the drop towers are being installed and the entry point of the tunnel machine. We also went to several other sewer overflow control mechanisms. Akron is also disconnecting storm and sanitary sewers at some up-line locations to help reduce overflow volumes. The boring will begin in the next few months.
It was a very interesting and worthwhile tour. They also suggested taking another tour later in the summer once more activities have begun.
- Written by Elise Allen, CHMM
- Created: 16 March 2017
- Last Updated: 16 March 2017
The Speakers for our January 2017 NEOCHMM meeting were Ben Georger and Kyle Reese from Aerotek. Ben and Kyle outlined Aerotek’s candidate process, and then addressed such topics as:
- Trends in skills being requested by employers
- How do CHMMs make themselves more marketable
- Trends in available positions (chemical engineers, environmental engineers, etc).
- Additional skill sets that might be relevant
- Interview questions: What’s appropriate and what’s not. How to navigate the inappropriate questions.
The meeting topics were well received by all who attended.
- Written by Super User
- Created: 17 February 2017
- Last Updated: 17 February 2017